Followers

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Morning encounter

This morning while crossing over the Midtown Bridge I saw a poor man holding up his pants, one had was in some kind of a cast and the other hand was holding up a pants that was dropping to his knee and fetching a plastic bag . The bag he was carrying had food I am sure he got from one of those places that give food to the poor. The plastic bag was flimsy because there was a hole at the bottom and his stuff started falling out. I first pick up a sandwich bag full of coffee and one pop, then another pop, then another pop. I called out to the man on the top of my voice and tried running to catch up with him but I couldn't.  He did not turn around, I reckon he must have been embarrassed. I picked up the drinks and the coffee and placed them on the ledge of the bridge, hopefully someone would pick them up or not.  Then I asked why in the name of heaven would you give so many pops to a poor man. I think the kind of foods we give away to poor people is criminal.  Not because people are poor they need to eat junk food and why couldn't the stuff be put in a better bag.  The people who use food banks often do not have cars, they have to walk. If you are one of those people who donate food to the poor, know that the poor need food for strength not foods that would deplete the little strength they have. If you cannot give decent food don't offer junk food to people please.

No comments: