Followers

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

May the best man win the Top Cop Job

I think the Winnipeg Free Press does a disservice to visible minority people when it chooses the vague statement it knew would bound to generate controversy in the community.
I wonder in which corners people are saying that because Supt. Clunis is a visible minority he is more likely to get the job. The people in those corners should just stay there.  Those kind of talk does not bode well for community cohesion. I think the free press is being irresponsible to put a quote with no name or face to it.
It is something that will stick in people's mind and if Supt. Clunis gets the job that would be there over his head - people thinking he only got the job because he is a visible minority.
I know Supt. Clunis very well and I have the highest regard for him as a police officer and as a human being. He cares about his job and about people and about youth.  He is a policeman policeman, I do not think he was made for anything but being a police officer and it shows when he speaks and offers comfort to people.
I think if Supt. Clunis turns out to be the better man, he would bring a different sensibility to the Force - a gentleness but strength, force with compassion and understanding and solution within a team environment.
Unfortunately, I do not know Supt. Thorne but from what I read of him, he has done quite a bit for the city and has worked in some of the toughest situations. I am sure we would be in great hands who ever gets the coveted job. Good luck to you both.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/top-cop-short-list-down-to-two-officers-165392046.html

No comments: