Followers

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Downtown Buzz

I love the new Manitoba Hydro building. I feel like I am in some great cosmopolitan centre like London, New York, Paris or Toronto. The waterfalls with the lights at the bottom is a nice touch as well as all the fancy restaurants around the place. You can enjoy a nice sit down meal, a quick take out or a deli break - all with nutritious meals.
However, I was at Marcello's today because I forgot my lunch at home. I thought I would buy a little rice to go with the salad I had at work. I put two scoops or rice, one plain white rice and one like a pilaf 3 pieces of beets and about 3 pieces of pickled mushrooms and when that rang up it came to close to $7.00 about  $6.70 something to be exact. I am a vegan. I thought that was a rip off. I could have gone to Line Up at City Place and buy a decent nutritious belly-full meal cooked before my eyes for about the same price.

I like Marcello's because it has variety but that weigh and pay you've got to watch. It is a rip off. You serve yourself, do everything for yourself and get no benefit. I was appalled and amused at the same time. I eventually got the meal for $5 but I felt that was too much as well.

WARNING
If you are a vegetarian, that is not the place to eat. Rice or carbs is too expensive. If you are a regular eater you may come out ahead by buying more protein that vegetables.  Vegetarians and vegans can do a lot better for a decent meal at the East African Restaurant on Portage Avenue close to Carlton.
That's my beef.

Downtown Biz
Thanks Winnipeg Downtown for the music you bring for our enjoyment. It is so refreshing to go outside and hear a blast of live music. This definitely put a hop in my feet and puts me in a nice frame of mind when I return to work.  The music today was great. If you have not been able to catch any of these fabulous musicians check back next Wednesday. I think there'll be Caribbean Music on Friday this week, so don't miss that.

No comments: