Followers

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Being in the right place at the wrong time - Selam Grocery

Yesterday was one of those days. I spent some time looking for this Ethiopian grocery store on either Sargent or Ellice. I finally found it on Sargent. I was minding my own business reading the ingredients and looking for beriberi spice, when all of a sudden there was a commotion in the store, "get out, get out" someone yelled. I went towards the sounds and saw a real life stick up. There was the young man trying to get money from the till from the owner's teenage son when the father emerged from the back of the store and found this man behind his counter. He said he was not sure what was going on at first but when he was clued in he was like crazy. He pelted the man with carpenters measuring tape and lunged at the man with the knife. He was brave. Finally some other customers came in and helped wrestle the knife from the man and took him to the road where they were able to retrieve whatever he took. I was scared and thought what it there is a gun, I staked out a place at the back of the store that I would hide.
Looking back I'd say it was scary but nothing bad happened. The store owners did not even bother to call the police.
For me it was being at the right place at the wrong time.

No comments: