Followers

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Winnipeg Artist's Untimely Demise

The Winnipeg art community is grieving the loss of one of their own, a relatively young artist Angie, from Indo-Trinidadian background. I was walking home from work when I bumped into a friend who is an artist. She told me she was returning from a funeral and showed me a picture of the dead woman from a booklet containing full-colour pictures of a number of her art works. I was shocked. It was Angie. Angie took her own life. It hit me like a ton of bricks. She was such a nice person, there was a gentle spirit about her. She spoke softly and intelligently. I never knew she might have suffered from depression. There were so many questions I wanted to ask. Was this a medical problem or a pyscho-social problem? When one takes one's own life, one asks what could have been so desolate in a person's life that they feel life is no longer worth living. It's pretty sad and sobering too as a human being.
Angie has recently taken to selling Mary Kay but I felt she was not suited to that line of work. She did not have that kind of bold faced brashness to make someone buy a product that they did not really want or could afford. May her gentle soul rest in peace.

No comments: