Followers

Saturday, September 08, 2007






St. Norbert's Market on Saturday

It's a bit cold today. Feels like fall. The wind is heavy with water it seems but the rain would not fall. I wish it would. That would save me watering my garden. I have not watered it in a few days thinking it would rain.
Anyway, this morning I drove up to the Farmer's Market in St. Norbert. It's a great place to hang out on a Saturday morning. The place buzz with activities of the Stabroek Market in Georgetown Guyana. People come at St. Norberts with their dogs, some carried in their arms others on leeches. The market has improved since I last went a few years back. There is a canopy for musicians. There was a band there this morning, but I did not stop to find out who they were. There are a lot of fried stuff happening - perogy, hotdog, Filippino egg roll. You can see why some of us get fat. People were guzzling the stuff more than one at a time. I had a hearty breakfast minus the coffee at home. It was nice to get a hot cup of human bean.
I find the produce at the farmer's market a little steep. Not that I do not think farmers deserve to be paid a fair share but they seem to be competing with Safeway and the other box stores. When one drives all the way up there to get produce you would expect it to be a bit more reasonable. Anyway the prices are steeper than before but that would not stop me from going out there. I believe in buying local. It is the thing to do. Of course, I bought more than I can use up in a week. So what do i do? Feed good food to my worms? I do have a vermiculture and making black compost hopefully to spread in my garden next spring.

No comments: