Followers

Thursday, September 21, 2006

We complain when kids go berserk and do all kinds of bad stuff. Look on the internet and see what kids are doing for pastime. The internet highway is their playground and anyone who happens by may be the target of their playful but hurtful venom.
The problem may lie in the fact that our children have too much free time on their hands. Parents have to stop babying children and allow them too be responsible and involved. I remember when I was growing up there was no time for boredom. I had chores to do before I can play with my friends. I was surrounded by family and familiar faces. People looked out for each other’s children. I felt safe. I felt that I was a contributing member of family that I was not just taking but giving something back. That made me feel good about myself. I often wonder how children feel when they are handed everything and not expecting much from them. Do they feel useless? a sense of helplessness? If you want to help your child, give him or her something useful to do. Instead of helping with the dishes, there is the dishwasher and even than parents have to pack the dishes into the dishwasher themselves. Many children do not lift a finger to help out in the house. If they are forced to do so, they go out to the fast food restaurants and eat and they feel no responsibility to help out if they did not eat the food at home, or if they are not around long enough to make a mess in the home. This is not how families behave. This is like having a room mate. There is a disconnect somewhere here and we as parents needs to get a grip on this laissez faire attitude towards our children. It is not doing them any good at all.

No comments: