Followers

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I had the cause to fly recently and I am ashamed at how nervous I was. I was always nervous flying. I get claustropobic and feel helpless in the hands of some other than myself.
However since 9/11 I am more fearful and unless I have to fly, I take the train or plane or car. This Ottawa trip had to be by plane because it was only for a weekend. I got on the plane, making sure I looked at everyone’s face to see if I see any hint of terrorism in the eyes (how foolish!). Unfortunately, I look for the stereotype of the common picture of a terrorist which I am ashamed to say. I can’t help it. Would I walk off the plane if I saw a stereotype of a terrorist on the same plane as I am, I don’t know. Fear does strange things to people. The flight to Ottawa was uneventful. It was smooth sailing all the way and back. I praised the good Lord when my feet landed.
On Monday morning as I was preparing for work, I heard the radio announcer pitched a story that would be coming up after the break. It was the impact of 9/11 on two people re flying in an aero plane. This caught my attention. I wanted to hear. I stuck around until it came up. One little girl said she was scared of flying afraid that it might be her last trip, afraid that a terrorist may blow up the plane. She had the same thoughts and feelings as I expressed above. The second person, an older woman who had lost loved ones in the 9/11 fiasco said that she has become fearless. She is prepared to take as many chances as possible, since 9/11 she has volunteered with the Red Cross and traveled to countries outside Canada. She said that she was afraid of not living life to the fullest because we never know when it will end. I thought about this and thought it was a much better way to approach life. She said she tells her loved ones how much they mean to her, she goes places and does things she would have never done before. Her view has inspired me and I don’t think I will look at things the same way I did. I don’t know who this woman is but I thank her for sharing. Her words touch me. I am grateful to her.

No comments: