Followers

Friday, July 02, 2010

Canada Day In Winnipeg

There was a lot going on in Winnipeg on Canada Day. Sections of the Osborne street were closed off and people were selling their stuff while others were entertaining.  I had an early start with breakfast at Stella's on Sherbrooke, a great place to start your day. Of course it was packed with lively people feeding their faces on the delicious cuisine they serve there. It's not that the food is all that different from other places but the atmosphere is what's get you.  You feel like you're in some cafe in England, France or Italy, some exotic place for the time being and you're caught up in the moment and the buzz of conversations around you.
   From there my friend and I went over to Osborne and walked around for a bit. Parking was hellish and being Winnipeggers, people are cheap and even though there was paid parking at Safeway - raising funds for Muscular Dystrophy research - many people chose to park in the free section by Starbucks which was for one-hour - there were signs of the one-hour limit prominent every where.  Some people ignored the sign to their detriment.  I saw another car parked right up under the Stop Sign  with a parking ticket on it. Two cars were towed away by Dr. Hook at Starbucks before my eye.  I said to myself that would teach these cheapskates - instead of paying $5.00 they'll pay ten times that for illegal parking. 
    There was a little drizzle but the sun came back with a vengeance and giving us all she's got it seemed.
    From there I headed to the Forks that was teaming with people all over and entertainment was all over the place. I had to get out of there - no I couldn't live in China or India where people are everywhere all the time. Later in the evening I positioned myself on the bridge for the fireworks. This was suggested to me by a friend. I had always stayed in the Park to watch the fireworks but I believe this was my best view ever. It is a hidden secret.  From the St. Mary's  bridge you see everything so clearly, it's amazing. The fireworks were wonderful - spectacular indeed.   All in all it was a great Canada Day. I had a lot of fun.
     Winnipeg is fun in the sun during the summer. It is the place to be. I won't be anywhere but Winnipeg. This is only the beginning. The fringe, jazz, folk-festival, folklorama are all on the horizon. Here we come Winnipeg.

No comments: