Followers

Thursday, December 17, 2009

BBC NEWS | Africa | South African rapist: 'Forgive me'

Dumisani Rebombo and his friend raped a young girl in their village in South
Africa when they were teenagers.
Years later, he returned to the same village to find the woman he attacked
and begged for her forgiveness.
Mr Rebombo, 49, is one of thousands of men in South Africa who admit to
having carried out a sexual assault - one in four, according to a recent
survey.
He told BBC News why he feels so many young men in his homeland engage in
the ill-treatment of women.


When I was 15 years old, I took part in a gang rape.
Before the incident, I was constantly jeered for not being man enough.
At the time I was not ready to have a girlfriend when all my friends did.
I did not tend the cattle or sheep, nor did I attend the initiation school
[where South African teenagers are circumcised in traditional rites of
passage].
This fuelled my daily jeers.
" My friends sang and clapped as if we had done something right "
Dumisani Rebombo
A friend and my cousin pressured me to prove that I was man enough, by
taking part in the rape of a teenage girl in the village.
This was termed "straightening her up", since she did not want to go out
with any of the local boys.
I succumbed to this daily pressure and on the day of the incident, when they
saw me trembling with fear, they ordered me to take marijuana and beer to
defeat my fears.
I did just that and the two of us [my friend and I] proceeded to rape the
girl.
Guilty and scared
Afterwards, I was terrified.
I felt guilty but also scared that the news could reach my mother who had a
high standing in the community.
The following day, when we went for our soccer practice, this incident was
reported to all the other football players.
On hearing the news, they sang and clapped as if we had done something
right.
This helped to stop the jeering somewhat and I was allowed to associate with
the other boys.
I still felt guilty, at least partially so, especially when I saw the girl
in the village. Sometimes I tried to avoid meeting her.
But slowly, over time, I began to think less and less about the incident.
I left my village in Limpopo Province and went to live in the city and
joined a religious group from which I learned a lot about love and respect
for all.
Strangely, I did not think much of the incident - I just went on with my
life.
I started work with an NGO (non-governmental organisation) where I mostly
worked with unemployed mothers.
Every Monday morning, the women reported incidents of abuse in different
forms.
" Every time I heard of a negative act by a man, I was forced to go back to
my own incident "
Dumisani Rebombo
As they did this, I could not help it but give way to introspection.
It was as if every time I heard of a negative act by a man, I was forced to
go back to my own incident.
I then asked my employers to train us in a methodology which would target
boys and men.
They did this and very soon, I felt challenged, self-consciously, to set an
example to the men I was teaching.
Seeking forgiveness
I took a decision to go back to find the woman I raped.
I realised that the woman needed justice.
But also, I wanted to ask for forgiveness, now that I understood the effects
and consequences for someone who has been raped.
I went to my pastor about this. His response was: "You are saved now, you
were once in the mud, but now you know the truth and you are therefore OK."
He also asked me if I was ready to go to jail. He said: "What if the woman
went to the authorities?"
My answer was: "If I go to jail, that would be justice for that woman."
I therefore took the journey to the north.
I wanted her to know that I felt bad about what I had done to her, that I
was a changed man and I was working with other men to prevent rape.
When we met, she showed a wry smile on her face.
Since we were at a public clinic, she thought I was a doctor or someone from
the Ministry of Health.
I related my story to her. She looked at me and revealed that she had since
been raped on two other occasions.
" She told me how she often cringes when her husband touches her "
Dumisani Rebombo
She started crying. She told me how she often cringes when her husband
touches her.
She told me that her life was never the same emotionally following these
incidents.
Worse still, she was not ready to tell her husband of what had happened.
Finally, she said that she forgave me, and thought that I had meant well
with all that I had said.
I left that room with a new burden - to do something about rape in my
community and my country.
Machismo feelings
If you asked me: "What motivates so many men in South Africa to engage in
un-consensual sex?" I would say that it is the machismo feelings and
beliefs, coupled with patriarchal processes and tendencies.
I think that we raise boys in the wrong way, but later on in their lives we
want to see them as different men who care and love.
My advice to young men who feel under pressure to rape, is to surround
yourselves with good friends.
Learn to talk to someone about what is going on inside.
For with this, one can teach the young men to have other means of solving
conflict.
And above all, to grow up respecting girls.

Dumisani Rebombo is a community development worker and public speaker,
working for the Olive Leaf Foundation, in Johannesburg.

Share your thoughts with us: What do you think about this story and what it says about manhood

BBCPreview and purchase Maiko Watson's new album "Sweet Vibration" here:http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/maiko-watson/id316648191

 NEWS Africa South African rapist: 'Forgive me'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[b]NationalClicks.com-Free Adult, Sexy Videos, Pictures, Games.[/b]

[b]**NOTE:[/b] We are your ONLY Free Softcore Adult Playground with over 20 Free Social Communities built towards your favorite fantasy.

You don't have a favorite fantasy? You should.

Maybe its Hot Teachers, Hot Mom's, Hot Wives, Lingerie, Daisy Dukes, Nip Slips, Sexy Legs, Booty or Panties.

Don't worry, we have you covered.

With over 20 Free Hot Social Communities to upload Pictures, Videos and Blogs we are sure to have what you want.


[b]Check it out, have some fun, interact and enjoy all the free stuff.
[/b]

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.